About the resort
A major role for its origin played the monastery "St. Constantine" with its location in geographical, cultural and historical aspect. We don't know who, when and for what reason has built this monastery on this spot, but undoubtedly it is one of the most beautiful and cozy places along our Black Sea coast - with a thick and impassable, for that time, forest and abundant healing drinking water from the monastery spring next to the sea.
The proximity of the monastery "Sts. Constantine and Helena" to the city of Varna was the main reason it was rediscovered for the civilized world.
During the Crimean War in 1854, a cholera epidemic broke among the concentrated in Varna expeditionary forces. The citizens of Varna sought to escape to the monastery, with its clean air and water from the spring, where they built tents around it.
This fact proved that the monastery had been evaluated as a healing place in the middle of the nineteen century.
In 1836 the two brothers Theodosi and Agapi Kantardjievi from Tirnovo rebuilt the monastery, which was ruined during the Russian - Turkish war in 1828 and maintained it up to their deaths in 1868.
After the Liberation, in 1891, a regional commission was established, which had to investigate the circumstances, under which the ownership of the properties of the monastery was acquired and the way the monastery farm operated. After the inspection, the commission reached the conclusion that the land estates were donated by the local Christians and the most numerous donors were from the village of Kestrich. It was most often argued that the soil was not fertile and it was uneconomic to cultivate it. The most interesting finding of the commission was that up to the Liberation, the monastery acted as a bank - it gave loans for building churches and schools, and the money for the loans came from the farm.
The history of the monastery after the Liberation developed in a way which invariably led to the most serious circumstances for the foundation of the resort.
In 1880 the Bulgarian Prince Aleksander I Batenberg visited the monastery "St. Constantine", enjoying the natural beauty of Varna and its surroundings. He chose the location with the remnants of the monastery "St. Dimitar" to build his summer residence. The area around the monastery "St. Dimitar" was turned into prince's and later into king's residence, known at the beginning as "Sandrovo", and later - as "Evksinograd". Only the memory of the former monastery remained in the nowadays governmental residence, as a small chapel was built on its place.
The appointment of the monastery "St. Dimitar" and not the monastery "St. Constantine" predestined to a major extent the development of the area around the latter as a resort.
The construction of the prince's residence attracted huge, for that time, capitals and revived the economy in the region - a modern road to the residence was constructed, which later was extended to "St. Constantine" and which in turn stimulated its development.
The governmental elite began to purchase land estates near the prince's residence and to build summer residences, thus enlarging the geography of the monastery site and provoking the interest of many people to that area, and it turned into one of the attractive sites for walks and recreation long before becoming a resort.
It is proven that the healthiest climate along the Black seaside is that of the "Sts. Constantine and Helena" resort and in this quality it surpasses a number of large European resorts. That is the reason for it to be preferred by a large number of tourists. In the "Sts. Constantine and Helena" resort one immediately turns into nature friend and confides in it physically and mentally.
Due to the wonderful climatic conditions, the natural assets and especially to the hot mineral springs, the first attempts to use this wonderful seaside for recreation and health treatment were made prior to the Liberation /1878/.
One of the proofs was found in the book "Letters from Bulgaria", in which the author - the Russian traveler and historian Viktor Tepliakov described how the rich people of Varna booked rooms in the monastery "Sts. Constantine and Helena" in order to spend their summer holidays "under the sounds of harmonicas and tambourines".
In 1907, The Regional Administration, through the District Standing Committee of Varna, adopted a resolution on establishing a resort centre in the area of the monastery complex.
Very significant is the following year 1908, when in the additionally constructed building of the monastery were accommodated the first tourists. In the thirties the hotel was named "Praga" The holiday season in the resort lasted for two months - from the middle of June to the middle of August.
Until 1912 one more hotel with12 rooms was built there, but after the wars broke out
up to 1918 the resort was unkempt.
In 1909, with the help from Queen Eleonora - the second wife of the Bulgarian King Ferdinand, the first hydropathic sanatorium for treatment of children with bone joint tuberculosis was moved into the resort. The sanatorium was established in 1905 by the idea of Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov. Originally it was located in inadequate sheds in the area of "Karantinata". In the sanatorium were admitted children from 3 to 15 years of age from all over Bulgaria with no differentiation in their social status. From all the children under treatment 95% either improved their condition or were fully recovered.
In the thirties, a mass construction started with the building of the rest home of the Bulgarian Posts. An original post card from 1934 shows the restaurant and beerhouse in the "Sts. Constantine and Helena" resort . It was also mentioned in the issue "Varna Resort" that in "St.St. Constantine and Helena" existed a restaurant with dancing area and an orchestra, playing first class jazz. A regular bus transport to the resort was provided. There existed natural alleys of trees and small parks with flowers.
The holidaymakers visiting "St.St. Constantine and Helena" could use the blessing of the famous Varna grapes.
As a sea resort the "Pearl of the Black Sea" could be compared to the Riviera. It is called the "Slavonic Nice"as well, but in 1933 the glory of grapevine healing resort, which remained unique for the country, was added to the above. The first grapevine healing house was in the monastery and consisted of 120 sunny rooms. The guest menu included mandatory 3 kg free of charge fresh ripe grapes, usually of the variety "Dimiat".
Important to the development of the tourist industry was the year of 1948 as well, when by a Decree of the Council of Ministers the State economic enterprise for international tourism "Balkantourist" was established and the "Golden sands" resorts and "Sts. Constantine and Helena" passed under its control.